Water pressure regulator is a small, yet highly important device. It is an element of every water supply network. Choosing a wrong model might cause a malfunction of many devices that work within the same installation. It might also increase general water consumption and its costs. How to choose the proper device? Read the article below to find out.
Table of contents
- Water pressure regulator - what is it and how does it work?
- Where to install a water pressure regulator?
- When a pressure regulator is needed?
- How to choose the best water pressure regulator?
The main purpose of water pressure regulator is keeping the water pressure at safe levels. The device works thanks to a membrane that is located inside. If water does not flow through the system, the membrane is pressed, increasing the tightness. When water flows through, the mechanism widens.
The fitting protects the installation from sudden changes in water pressure, which could damage the installation.
The best place for a water pressure regulator is behind water meter and filter on the main tube. If the main tract is difficult to access, you might place the regulator on a calorifier or tank pipes.
There are several cases in which water pressure regulator is necessary. It should be used when:
- static pressure in the installation is 5 bar,
- dynamic pressure in the installation is higher than the acceptable rate,
- pressure right by the safety valve is 80% of the static pressure,
- there is a risk that dynamic pressure temporarily rises over the acceptable level.
When you buy a water pressure regulator, pay attention to the following aspects:
- material it’s made of - the best regulators are made of brass, as they are resistant to corrosion and mechanical damage; they also can last much longer than stainless steel pressure regulators,
- filter - it protects the installation from contamination that could cause malfunction,
- size - diameter of the pressure regulator should match the diameter of a particular pipe,
- manometer - it’s a small fitting that allows to quickly detect a malfunction and to assess the state of the system.
How to adjust water pressure regulator?
To adjust water pressure regulator, just turn the bolt. Turning it clockwise increases the pressure, while turning it counterclockwise decreases it.
How does a water pressure regulator work?
Water pressure regulator works thanks to a small membrane that is located inside. It narrows the space through which water flows, decreasing the pressure in the installation.
How to install a water pressure regulator?
Install the pressure regulator behind water meter and filter on the main pipe. Make sure to cut off the water supply before starting the device installation.
How to replace water pressure regulator?
First cut off the water supply on the main pipes and empty the pipes by turning the faucet on. Then remove the old device. Clean the pipe and install a new pressure regulator.